Tuesday 19 April 2011

The Ritchie Family circa 1875

This is the earliest photo I have of David and Isabella.
I have dated this at 1875 but it might have been as early as 1874, as their 5th child, James, was brought into the world in 1875. As William is in his mother’s arms, it is hard to see if she is ‘with child’.
Their oldest son was also a David and followed into his fathers trade becoming a mason and then a respected builder, living in Cupar for the whole of his life. This was barely two miles away from where he was brought up. The family home, in Cupar Muir, had four rooms that contained windows and was big enough to bring up their seven children. Although their eldest son stayed close, their eldest daughter Janet emigrated to Canada and their youngest, not born for nearly another decade …my Nana…lived for several years in London. This is the only photo I have yet to find of Janet and their second son Alexander.
Sadly I have no image of James who died before his time….I am sure I have not recounted his story before so maybe this is the place to record it.
James was born in 1875 and like William, who worked in the print, did not follow in his father’s footsteps but became a Cabinet maker. He met and fell in love with Jane Brunton and they married in 1903. Soon Jane was carrying their first child and eleven months after their marriage Elizabeth was born. They were so happy but Jane was very unwell after the birth. James had gone out to visit friends and returned to find that she had died and could not forgive himself for not being there by her side. His death from poison was recorded 12 hours after hers.
Elizabeth was now an orphan but James’s siblings tried to care for her. A few months later Jane’s parents came and took her to live with them…. changed her surname and appear to have brought her up as their own child …maybe to shield her from knowing about her real parents deaths.
James' family never saw her again but I found that she lived until 1986 … not all that far from where I live now …. unmarried and on her own …how I wish that I had started Family History 10 or so years earlier …but then maybe it would have been wrong to rake up the past.

20 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hello Angie, I've been catching up on your latest posts and your layouts are lovely - the papers and embellishments always in keeping with the period. I envy you your family photographs - I have so few, and some are in pretty poor shape at that. I'm also enjoying reading the fascinating snippets of family history. My father's maternal side comes from Fife - around Ballingray - so not too far from where your's and presumably where you now live. We are planning to take a trip up there - gravehunting - next year. Elizabeth x

fairyrocks said...

What a treasure!!!
you have honored it beautifully.
Thnks for sharing. Keep smiling and creating

Kirsty.A said...

What a tragic story. Lve your LO

Carmen said...

Another one that gave me chills Angie. Love how you did this page.

Rosebark said...

Wow Angie, what a lovely way to document your history - and I see nothing wrong with including yourself. Our past is history. I have a lot of my family history on a family tree programme on the computer and have files with much the same info in, but nowhere have I much gone into the personl reminiscences. Are you researching specifically your own family history, or are you doing Pete's as well, as this is your children's heritage?

Ros X

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Your work is wonderful and I am fascinated by your family history. In the last five years I have reconnected with my relatives in Norway. One of my cousins has written a book and from him I have learned so much about my mother's side of the family. She may not have know some of it, she passed in 1998. Thanks for visiting me.

SueH said...

Yet another beautiful LO and such a touching story Angie.

To think that Elizabeth lived that close to where you are is amazing and as you say it’s such a shame you didn’t know that sooner because you would have had a lot to talk about.

It’s a little bit like how we came across our old photos.
Photo copies of the photos were passed on to dad via a cousin but they really weren’t very clear so we asked who had the originals. It turned out to be another of dad’s cousins who lives literally five minutes away and we didn’t know. Strange how things come to be!

Happy Crafting!
Sue
x

Heavens2Betsy said...

Fabulous page - absolutely lovely design. It is great to read the characters story too. Marvellous tales you tell. penny

The Crafty Elf said...

I absolutely love your photo's and the wonderful stories behind them, very well told. TFS

Dragon said...

Love the layout and the history... as for those silhouettes I think you mean Lotte Reinegar??? Woo a blast from the past
Frankie
xx

uhooi said...

Uhooi,,
Wow,, It works great, interesting and creative,,

Uhooi.blogspot.com

Chrysalis said...

Hi Angie - thanks for visiting my blog, and sharing your two - LOVE them! I particularly love your family history album. I've got lots of old pics that I was going to frame and make a 'rogues gallery' going up the stairs but, seeing your work has inspired me to do something similar. Great idea to have two blogs running, too. I'm now wondering whether to split my one into crafting, gardening and a new family history one. Thanks again for the inspiration! Chris x

Bugged Designs said...

Oooh, these pages are a lovely idea. My dad is researching the family tree so a project like this would link in quite nicely. The closest I've got to something like this so far is a book I made for my Grandmas's 80th birthday which had some older photos of her and some of her family. (thanks for stopping by my blog)

famfa said...

This blog is so interesting. I have been following your other blog but this is amazing too. Will be reading this one now aswell.

Mary said...

I love it...wow, what a work of art...I am sure your creation will be treasured for years....

Unknown said...

You are making memories for a lifetime, but or course you already knew that! Beautiful!
PS What is this tape you use for cards? I feel like a dunce. Still using glue stick.

fairy thoughts said...

what a beautiful layout. shame there is such a sad story attached to it. no point in dwelling on the past though is there.
thanks for sharing
janet

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog about the Queen Lili'uokalani's birthday. I couldn't find a way to contact you on your home page, so I'm leaving a comment here. I'm glad you watched the other videos, too, on Auntie Lydia. Did you know her neice and heir, Kaiulani, was half Scottish? Her father was Archibald Cleghorn, and he married her sister. I have a few blog posts on her, too.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely magnificent creation Angie. I just have been looking through your blog its gorgeous
hope to be back soon and catch up more
hugs June x

That Craft Place said...

absolutely stunning. I adore these papers. i think your layout is beautiful. Just lovely.
Lisa xx