Tuesday 1 March 2011

My Mum ...in the 1940's

Marjory Isobel Bullock/Watt ...1917 - 2000


This decade was filled with mixed emotions for Mum It started with such promise …she was due to be married to her one true love but sadly John was taken from her before it could happen … she managed to survive this terrible time and took her mind off what had happened by concentrating on her singing and joining the world of work for the first time in her life …something that a middle class only daughter, in Scotland, was not expected to do unless it was volunteering to do a few hours for charity or in a hospital, or at this time, maybe War Work.

She lost close friends as many did …sang for the Polish soldiers who were stationed near by …finally left home for a spell so she could continue working and have some independence …this time on a military base in England … then discovered that her mother had sold up the family home and followed her to England. She met and was captivated by my father, a Canadian parachutist at the base … learnt that he was returning home to a wife and child so never told him that she was probably pregnant. In March 1947, she gave birth to me, which shocked the whole family, as she had told no one, only put on a few pounds and cycled everywhere up to eight months. Finally she let her mum find a flat, change Mum's surname, move in with us and then organize her life so that she could keep me and give me a home, forsaking old friends, in case they ever learnt the truth that she had never married. …. but then, to test her strength once more, she nearly lost me to Polio as the decade was nearing its end. (Written about in the post below )

This beautiful woman never looked at another man for the rest of her life and dedicated herself to making sure I was happy and had all that I needed. …it is now that I really appreciate what she did for me.

Thank you Mum.

12 comments:

Carmen said...

Oh Angie. This had me tearing up. What an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing her with us.

So glad you are posting on here again.

Susanne said...

Lovely layout, fitting for such a strong and caring woman. Thanks for sharing her (and your) story.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

So lovely to read these things beautifully prestented. thanks for sharing,
Shaz in in Oz.x

SueH said...

What a beautiful page Angie and such a touching story attached to it too.
It makes you realise just how much things have changed in this day and age.

Lovely photos of you in the previous post too.

Thanks for sharing.
Sue
x

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I'm curious about the name Bullock. It is very rare here, but there was a Henry Bullock who arrived in Massachusetts from St. Lawrence, Essex, England in 1635 on the ship Abigail. He is my cousins ancestor and I've been working on this lineage for her. Is this your Bullock family, too?

Morning's Minion said...

Your Mum was a brave lady. So many heart-wrenching stories and so many quiet lives of putting the pieces together after the war. These were heros and heroines as surely as were the soldiers.

Nancy said...

It's so sad that she wasn't able to marry the man she loved and that you grew up without a father. Thank goodness she was so dedicated to you, though.

I'm giving you the One Lovely Blog Award (because your blog is absolutely beautiful!). My post will go up tomorrow evening. Come to http://nancysfamilyhistoryblog.blogspot.com then to copy the image and learn about the award.

Kit said...

Hi Angie,
Love your post :o)

In response to your question about why I decided to make the change from Promarkers to Copics, I have wanted the Copics some time now and have been saving my pennies for them...The main difference between them is that there are a lot more colours in the Copic range and so they blend a lot better, however Promarkers blend when you layer them on top of each as well so to be honest the Copics are just a lavish spend for me plus I like some of the other techniiques and shades - Hope this helps. If you are thinking about buying some I have mine for sale on ebay at the moment so you may save yourself some money
I am selling a set of 73 pens and a set of 16 pens

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Letraset-Promarkers-x73-plus-Blender-Pen-/220757655955?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_WritingEquipment_SM&hash=item33662e8193

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Letraset-Promarkers-x16-plus-Blender-Pen-Stand-/220757685826?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_WritingEquipment_SM&hash=item33662ef642

Best Wishes

Katherine x

Cauliflower Cupcake said...

Hi Angie,
I love geneaology too and you have been inspiring me with your work. I have a blog award for you. Just pop over to my blog to pick it up or click on the week below.
have a good day!
Rebecca x
http://cauliflowercupcake.blogspot.com/

The Crafty Elf said...

Wow! What a story and you told it so well. I have goosebumps! Your layout is amazing and totally created with love - you can tell. TFS

sandra de said...

Ohhh Angie, your family history is fascinating and fabulous that you are able to get the details down and pass on to your family.

HeARTworks said...

Oh her life could be made into a movie! The war changes so many lives! Such a beautiful layout for a beautiful lady! Patsy from
HeARTworks