Sunday 16 August 2009

My Mum ...1934

This is my Mum when she was about 17.


Would you guess that she had an arm that was thin and frail compared to the other and didn’t work properly … or that one leg was 1”shorter, and much weaker, than the other?

No one really knew why. It was thought that it was due to a difficult birth but others said it was a congenital defect. At the age of twelve her mother was offered an operation that might help the mobility of her daughters arm but on hearing that there was a high risk of the arm becoming totally paralyzed, if the operation failed, she refused it.

Mum told me that she was in two shows for her local music society … Rosemarie and Maid of the Mountain … not sure if this is from either but looking at the scenery in the back ground, it just could be, which, after some research, would actually make her 18/19 not 17 as she had always told me.( I have left the LO with the date she said.).

She had a beautiful operatic voice, accompanied herself on piano and also played violin in an orchestra, despite her arm …such a talented lady but so unassuming. Her youth was filled with music …maybe this was how she felt close to her father whom she had adored.

2 comments:

Ginny said...

you've blown me away...yet again...as always I read all the wonderful information and then go back and look at the actual layouts....LOVE the background of the BULLY LO though they are all fantastic

jay670120 said...

Wow fabby photos xxx My favourite one is "My mum 17" Wow what a beautiful mum & looked like an exciting time she had !